Completed JEE Advanced and want to know how branch change policy works? We give you a TL;DR version of branch change in all the IITs.
Find out how branch change works at IIT Bombay, Bhubaneshwar, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Indore, Hyderabad and Kanpur! Stay tuned to find out the same for other IITs.
Changing branch at IIT Bombay
- Completion of the course credits prescribed in the first two semesters, and
- No backlog at the end of first year
- Secured a Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) ≥ 8.0 for General and OBC category students and ≥ 7.0 for SC, ST and PD category students.
Before beginning the allocation, additional seats are made available in each branch, limited to a maximum number of 10% of its sanctioned strength.
While students are allotted seats of general and reserved type during admission, this data is not used during branch change. Each available seat may be occupied student of any category.
An eligible student’s request for a shift from branch A to branch B will be considered valid if any of the following two sets of criteria are satisfied.
- (a) The CPI is at least 9 (b) there is a seat available in Branch B
- (a) There is a seat available in branch B (b) The strength in branch A, from which a change is being sought, does not fall below its sanctioned strength by more than 25% (c) There is no student with higher CPI who is currently being denied a change of branch to “B” due to rule (ii)
Students will be permitted to change from B.Tech. to Dual Degree Programme in the same department at the end of third and fourth semesters subject to the department’s recommendation.
Changing branch at IIT Bhubaneshwar
- Completed all the credits prescribed in the first two semesters of their studies, in their first attempt, without having had to pass any course requirement in the supplementary examination and/or summer quarter.
- Obtained GPA not lower than 8.5 at the end of second semester.
Student admitted to 4-year B.Tech are eligible for consideration for a change of branch to any engineering (4-year or 5-year Dual Degree) course.
In making the change of branch, those applicants shall be considered who have secured a rank within top 1% (rounded to the nearest integer) amongst all the first year students for the CGPA scored at the end of second semester.
The remaining applicants may be allowed a change of branch, in order of merit, only if the number of students in third semester in the branch to which transfer is to be made does not exceed 110% of the sanctioned yearly intake for that branch.
At the same time, maximum 10% of students registered in a programme can go out due to branch change.
To know more, head over to their official website and read about IIT Bhubaneshwar's branch change policy.
Changing branch at IIT Delhi
- CGPA for General category students > 7.50 & for SC/ST and Person with Disability category students > 6.50
- Earned credits at the end of the first academic session > 40
Change of the branch is subject to the limitation that the actual number of students in the third semester in the discipline to which transfer is to be made should not exceed the sanctioned strength, and the strength of the discipline from which transfer is being sought does not fall below 90% of the existing strength.
If you have CGPA = 9.0, even if a vacancy does not exist, you will be permitted to change discipline provided the strength in the discipline to which the change is being sought does not exceed by 5% of the sanctioned strength. Also, in such cases, you will be permitted to change discipline even if the strength of the discipline from which change is being sought falls below 90% of the existing strength.
To know more, head here to read about IIT Delhi's branch change policy.
Changing branch at IIT Gandhinagar
In 2012, the Institute was able to accommodate virtually every branch request of eligible students.
After successful completion of the first two semesters, students may apply for branch change under the following guidelines:
Any student with a CPI 9.50 or higher is allowed a change of program without any restriction. For others, change is permitted in order of merit determined by their CPI. Students with a CPI of 6.50 or higher and without any fail grade/backlogs are eligible to apply.
The request for change (in the order of merit) for a student (say S1) from program A to program B will be considered so long as:
- Strength of program B does not exceed by more than 10% of the sanctioned strength for that program.
- Strength of students on the rolls in program A does not fall below 50% of its sanctioned strength.
- The request of S1 will be re-considered (again in order of merit) if another student transfers to branch A, provided this re-consideration does not violate (b) above.
To know more, head over to their official website and read about IIT Gandhinagar's branch change policy.
Changing branch at IIT Guwahati
- Any student who has completed all the courses of the first two semesters without failing in any
- No CPI restriction.
Change of branch is permitted strictly on the basis of merit subject to the limitation that the strength of a branch does not fall below the existing strength by more than 10% and does not go above the sanctioned strength by more than 10%.
Changing branch at IIT Hyderabad
Changing branch at IIT Indore
- Top 1% students of the total admitted students in that year will be eligible for change of branch without any constraints.
- Otherwise, students without fail grades and backlogs and with CPI > 6.5 will only be eligible to apply and can give their choices.
The request for change (in the order of merit) for student S1 from branch A to branch B will be considered if,
- Strength of branch B does not exceed the sanctioned strength for that branch.
- Number of students on rolls in the branch A does not fall below 85% of the sanctioned strength.
- The request of S1 will be re-considered (again in the order of merit) if S1 does not violate (b) above due to another student getting transfer to branch A.
- If student S1 is not permitted to change from branch A to B (due to (b) above),any other student S2 in any branch with CPI less than S1 will also not be permitted to change to branch B.
The rules for change of Branch/Program from students belonging to SC/ST category would be similar to that of other candidates except for the following concessions:
- Their CPI must be 6.0 or more (without any kind of backlogs).
- Each branch does not exceed its sanctioned strength by more than 2.
Changing branch at IIT Kanpur
A student may be allowed to change the branch/ program subject to certain constraints on the number of students in each branch/program. Some of the guidelines used for branch/program change are as follows.
- The strength of any branch/program should not exceed the sanctioned strength by more than 2, and should not fall below 55% of its sanctioned strength due to change of branch/program.
- Changes are decided in decreasing order of Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of the eligible applicants.
- A unique aspect of IIT Kanpur rule is that branch change is allowed not just after second semester but also after 3rd and 4th semester.
- All students are initially admitted to a program in Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Technology. The interested students can apply for conversion to a dual-degree program. The second degree may be M.Tech./M.S./M.B.A./M.Des.
- An interested student, who is doing well in his/her program, can decide to opt for a second major. A second major typically requires 9-10 additional courses and may require an extra year for completion.
- The Institute runs an interdisciplinary program: B Tech. in Engineering Science. Interested students can opt for this program as a branch change. This program is especially aimed at highly motivated students who feel constrained within the conventional compartmentalization of departments.
To know about other IITs, go to IIT 101 : How do I change my branch in IITs? Part 2